Monday, September 3, 2012

Time to be Patient

Today is day one after getting stitches in my knee.

My morning was okay I did my regular Monday morning housekeeping job.

I made my guacamole with red pepper strips in a watermelon to take to some friends moving away picnic.

I met a new friend for a very short hike. While I know this may not be well advised I needed to know how limited I was. I got my answer I limped the entire time with my leg straight. My knee isn't bending very far.

I came home and wanted my pajamas on. Just getting my tall socks off was a challenge. I assessed my knee and saw how swollen it was and I just broke down in tears. I also realized I don't like pain and I wanted an extra strength ibuprofen. I rarely take anything other than my multivitamin and fish oil. I also realized that I needed to eat, but didn't want to strain to walk anymore and dinner would require a trip to the grocery store.

In steps my little miracle friend. I call her T. T doesn't know I think of her as my miracle friend. I met T at crossfit and later saw her at a mud run and she had this fun pink and blonde hair and she was adorable. I didn't start getting to know her better until a few months ago when I went on a bike ride with her. I was amazed everything came so easy to her. I had my first flat tire that day. I call her my miracle friend because she always pulls off these little miracles. Knowing I need a text to laugh or inspiration and my phone lights up or I see something on Facebook from her. Well tonight she continued her tradition. I asked her how she got through her emergency appendectomy recovery which led to a series of texts and then she asks if I want chicken and dumplings. My body says absolutely, but my weakness is accepting kindnesses. Especially when it's the second one she's performed of the day. Yes she gave me her ninja blender and food processor. Teresa brought me yummy chicken and dumplings, but it's no ordinary meal it's paleo and all pretty in a glass bowl with the beautifully brown crusted dumpling right on top and it's just the right temperature and I'm no longer worried about the ibuprofen I took minutes earlier on an empty stomach.
T tells me I need to be better about asking for help and she's right. She says no one minds and I believe her.

Well I left my phone charger at work. I do everything on my phone. Email my mom, research, text, map my exercise. I have a phone charger for the car and Its interesting to think I've become so dependent on an inadament object, nonetheless I have.

My friend I met recently and showed some new biking trails a couple weeks ago lives close by and has an iPhone so I asked if he might have one to spare me. Of course he says yes he's on his way. He had asked me to let him know if I needed anything and well I guess I am improving on asking for help.

The important thing I like to bare in mind is that although I feel most of us as humans like to feel needed and are happy to fulfill our loved ones requests for help, I like to remember to not set expectations and no one ever owes me anything.


No comments: